East Regional Feature!

East Regional Feature!
by East Regional Advisor, Nikita DeBarros

Happy Fall, sisters, friends, and supporters of Delta Xi Phi!

The chapters of the East Region, like those across the nation, have been hard at work this semester. As we all know, the beginning of the semester is overrun by all things RECRUITMENT. The ladies of the east have put their best foot forward this year to attract strong, diverse new members, and their efforts have not gone unnoticed. The chapters are excitedly preparing to welcome these women into our sisterhood.

The Iota Associate Chapter at UMASS Amherst started the year off with a “Welcome Back Barbecue,” allowing actives and alumnae to interact and prepare for the upcoming year. Sisters didn’t let the rain stop them from coming together as they were forced to postpone the event due to bad weather.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.04.54 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.00 PM

This year Iota’s recruitment theme was “Sugar Rush Fall 2014” and featured events such as “M&M’s and Mani/Pedis,” “Kit Kat Chat,” and an invite only “Golden Ticket Event.” The associate chapter also took the opportunity to incorporate a campus event featuring Laverne Cox, activist and actress on the hit series Orange is the New Black, into their recruitment activities!

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.09 PM

At Johns Hopkins University, DXP’s Lambda Chapter also used a sweet theme this fall — “The Magical World of Sisterhood.” Their “Royal Treatment” event was a huge hit, allowing sisters to spend quality time with potential new members by pampering themselves!

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.16 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.24 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.31 PM

With the hope of reaching diverse populations at JHU, the chapter reached out to Demere Woolway, Director of LGBTQ Life who spoke to sisters about Emotional Intelligence and Diversity at National Convention 2014. They informed her of DXP’s welcoming membership policies regarding gender identity and expression, which she was elated to share with the LGBTQ+ community on campus. Lambda is also very excited to start using their new office space in the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.39 PM

The Upsilon Chapter at Keene State is celebrating their best recruitment season in years! The chapter’s NFL-inspired “Drafting the Best Since 1994” theme helped attract between 9 and 15 potential new members to each of the first three recruitment events. In addition to recruitment efforts this fall, Upsilon took advantage of the warm weather and held an outdoor “Pie A D-Xi” event to raise money for the American Cancer Society (Delta Xi Phi’s national philanthropy).

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.46 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.05.57 PM

Our other chapter in New Hampshire, the Rho Chapter at UNH, has been actively working to engage potential new members at open houses, activity fairs, and during multicultural organization meetings. With recruitment coming to a close, they are excited to focus their energy on other projects such as an academic panel on ISIS and Women in Iraq as well as attending Homecoming festivities with MOSDEF (Men of Strength, Diversity, Education, and Family), CONNECT (a program that supports the transition from high school to college for multicultural students), and NALA (a group for women of color).

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.06.06 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.06.11 PM

DXP’s Chi Chapter at Cabrini College began the semester with great momentum after they were awarded Chapter of the Year at National Convention this summer. Their American recruitment theme drew a lot of attention and compliments, aiding them in inducting a promising line of associate members. Riding high on their new accomplishments, Chi is excited to tackle new challenges and continue to grow. Check them out in this feature by their college’s student media site, The Loquitor.

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.06.25 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.06.31 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.06.38 PM

I am so incredibly proud of our East Region and can’t wait to see what else this year has in store!

With sisterly love,
Nikita “ADANNA” DeBarros, East Regional Advisor